But one day, she returned...

I didn't mean to be away from this for so long! I even started a post one night, but had to abandon it to the draft folder when I realized it was far too late at night. The last week has been a busy one!

Last Thursday night, my husband and I went to visit my family and attended the annual Seder supper held by the United Church there. I had attended once before, and both times found it quite interesting. I think it is so important for people to be aware of the traditions of other cultures, and I like the way Passover can be tied to the Christian communion. My favourite part of the ritual, I think, is when the door is opened and everyone stands to greet Elijah. What would happen if he actually came in sometime? : )

On Saturday, I began working on a Renaissance gown I am making. It is quite a bit of work, but it should be beautiful when it is done. I got a lot of the cutting-out done on Saturday, but had to stop eventually as it is exhausting and hard on the back! Also, I was fighting a headache all day, which carried on...

...into Sunday and Monday. On Sunday, still at home with my family, we had the traditional egg-hunt--which, at my mother's house, is rather...competitive. My siblings and I are all adults now, and those of us who still go home for the egg-hunt (along with some of my nieces) tend to get a bit physical when Mom hints that someone is near a hidden egg. My brother is the strongest, so he has a bit of an advantage, but the rest of us rely on speed, subterfuge, and occasionally tickling!

After the egg-hunt, we had a delicious dinner, and then my husband and I had to drive back up here for...another delicious dinner, this time with his family. I shudder to think of the number of calories we consumed that day.

On Monday, the headache that had started Saturday reached a horrible peak. I had a terrific pain behind my eye that at one point brought me to tears, and nothing I took seemed to do anything for it. I used to get headaches like this at one point when I was in the fourth year of my Bachelor's degree, but that was almost five years ago and I haven't had one this bad since then. It completely exhausted me, and then kept waking me up all night! This morning I could feel it starting to come on again, so I called in sick and went back to bed; I knew if it got as bad as it had yesterday, I would have been stranded because it was making me so light-sensitive I could barely uncover my eyes, let alone drive. I slept for three hours, after which the headache had receded enough to allow me to get up and get some things done.

I used my brief pain-free spell to get some seeds planted. We are about nine weeks from last frost here, which means it is time to start planting some flowers. Today I planted echinacea, mesembryanthemums, two varieties of pansies, snapdragons, lavender, painted daisies, and foxglove. It has been years since I have started seeds, and I am very excited! I know it will be months before I have flowers, but I can hardly wait. I love summer and flowers!

Anyway, this time at the computer has made my head a little uncomfortable again, so I'm off--with noble aims of more regular posting, and less rambling about my day-to-day life.

0 comments: