Decisions, decisions...

Lately I feel as if I'm standing in the giant cereal aisle of life, being completely overwhelmed by the options that present themselves. I mean, it's nice to have choices, and it's fantastic to be doing big life things that we want to be doing, but between the baby and the house, I feel as if my decision-making capacity has been exceeded. Add to that the fact that it's semester turn-around time and I'm trying to decide what to try to accomplish in my courses before I hand over the reins and go on maternity leave, and my brain is just about on overload.

On the upside, we have lately made some key decisions regarding the house--largely because the time is simply getting too short to shilly-shally any longer. We have most of our painting done, which is a huge relief as it took a long time for us to decide on colours. We also picked out trim and countertop, and have almost decided on vanities for the bathrooms. I will be relieved when this is all over, though--I'm ready to move in! In preparation for the big move, I've been trying to get some sorting done in the house, and I've been purging a lot of junk. It feels great to get rid of some stuff! I think part of this cleaning drive may also be my nesting instinct kicking in. I just want to sort, clean, and get everything in order for the move and the arrival of the baby!

The downside of all of this--and of the crazy upheaval of the end of the semester--is that I haven't had much time for the kinds of projects I want to be working on. I have a pair of pajamas mostly cut out...but not put together. I have the beginnings of an appliquéed bag done...but still all the stitching and the putting together to do. I just want some time to work on these and other projects! Maybe next weekend....

We've also made the decision to cloth-diaper the baby. We did a lot of research and had a chat with a very nice lady at Nurtured (an awesome store on Robie St. in Halifax--check it out!), and we've really decided that it's the right option for us. Considering the economic and ecologic savings, as well as the health benefits for the baby, it was pretty much impossible to make any other decision. And really, cloth diaper are pretty cool now! There are a lot of options, which of course get increasingly expensive as they get increasingly convenient. However, they're still much, much cheaper than disposables. We've ordered a kit of prefolds and plan to get some all-in-ones (the convenient, pricier model) for times when we're out or when other people have the baby. I know it'll be more work, but I'll be home for a year with the baby, and I refuse to believe that we're too wimpy to deal with the challenges. One more step towards parenthood...now if only we could decide on some names!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

You could name the baby NaBloPoMo. Sounds quite unisex, and think of all the ways you could shorten it...Na, Blo, Po...

Krista M. said...

Hmm...but what would Mom say?